Sunday, September 03, 2006

 
Water, water everywhere
Looking at my photos from our French trip I can't help seeing that water keeps recurring as a theme. Some of it was in very traditional fountains like this one:




or in village fountains like this:

or in ultra-modern city fountains like this one in Reims:




There seems to be a fascination for me in capturing the water's movement but also in capturing the effect of stillness:



(I have resisted the urge to straighten this picture in Photoshop as it was the chateau itself which seemed to have been built at right angles to the slope it was on rather than me holding the camera crooked..)

Sometimes the water is just an invisible presence, keeping the countryside green- despite these being taken just a week or so after the end of the long dry heatwave:



Sometimes it is a brooding hint of water to come- time to close the car roof..


(more photos to follow, Blogger playing up!)

Comments:
lovely I love that one in Reims. The one just before that looks familiar - where was it?
 
Yes, I was thinking about the architectural use of water at the Alhambra. It has a very important part to play in public spaces.
 
the village is Blanot, just outside Cluny. This fountain is very near the village lavoir and a very nice bar we go to when we are there.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?