Monday, June 05, 2006

 
Audacity
When I was doing my little bit of research fieldwork last week I wanted to record the discussion on something digital. Probably everyone else already knows about this free software called Audacity but I didn't. It does lots of fancy stuff, or so I am told by the students, but it also does straightforward things like recording speech. Our music technican installed it for me and then I just needed a microphone plugged into my laptop and it recorded the whole thing onto my hard drive. Then I saved it as a wav and an mp3 just in case. Much less intrusive to have a laptop on the table while we talked than a tape recorder. And I like the name too, audacity is an excellent word I think. We have the audacity to be interested in digital literacies..

Comments:
I am scared of digital audio recordings. What happens if you lose it?
Museum curators like tapes because they are an artefact.
But one day I will have to take the plumge.
Your post today made me come a little nearer.
help!
 
I always used to worry about tape recorders too though. Were they going round? would they work? All my research tapes are just sitting in a box slowly decaying..
I have to confess that I also had another digital recorder running too - it was new so each was backing up the other!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?