Friday, December 02, 2005

 
And behind the second window is.. yes, a candle..



I am working this Advent calendar thing out as I go. Next year will be slicker.. as you can see the picture without opening the little card window, there needs to be a surprise. But first.. this is our chapel Advent wreath. Did you know that there are all kinds of significances to be read into the choice of candle colour? When I was growing up, with a middle of the road Anglican vicar as my dad, we had red candles with a white one for Christmas. Now I am Catholic, in the years when I get round to making a wreath for home, I do what you'd see at mass and we have three purple candles (Advent is a season of penitence, not as heavy as Lent but still penitential, and purple is the colour of penitence) and one pink one for Gaudete Sunday which is the third Sunday of Advent which is a touch jollier. (And still a white one for Christmas Day.) Our new Anglican chaplain has used four purple candles. I haven't asked her why. It could be as symbolic as that is what Dunelm Mills had.. or it might be a bit high church but not actually Anglo-Catholic. If I find out I will report back..

Anyway, here is your surprise. If you go to this link you will find what I think is quite a funny website.. enjoy.

Comments:
Ha ha I do like it Mary Plain.
I am really enjoying the advent blog as it has the same quality as my daughter's advent calender which unfortunatly she always goes and opens in advance to find out what the pictures are...
But keep it going.
I missed singing my carols last night as I was too tired but I do like Christmas.
 
I had one Advent calendar when I was little that I kept year after year(as well as demanding a new one!)- it was a town and all the pictures were people getting ready for Christmas, with a line by line story about them. Lots of the doors fell off or got very torn but it was great. Wish I still had it!
 
I love those candles. Gorgeous
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?