Thursday, November 24, 2005

 
Seeing the big picture
I stole this heading from today's Guardian Technology supplement which has several interesting stories for us I think.
The one with this title is about how professional photographers have been undermined and marginalised by digital photography which means we can all produce pictures for the media. They also now have to edit their own pictures and learn to use technology to do that. It ends by suggesting that so many images are now created that we may be at risk of image pollution.. Personally I love the image saturation I get from reading everyone's blogs and from Flickr. Will we ever get image overload?

Then inside there is
a story about Facebook.com which is a social networking site for students but with the added feature that you only get to network with students from the same university, so you might also get to meet them in real life. Apparently it is v big in the States and now growing over here. I thought I would find out about it for the Bearpit to see if we can join. If we do I will blog about it. You can't see much from the website without registering. You can upload pictures too so, hey, more image pollution..

And then on page 3 there is
a review of a game that sounds great, Okami. You get to draw in this game and, I quote, 'the concept of the game is to paint and interact with the beauty of nature'. I may have to put a Playstation 2 on my Christmas list so I can play this game.

Oh, and there is a
really cool looking DAB radio too with turquoise and flowers. Here is a picture to add even more to this image polluted world.


and all this cost me just 60p and of course for that I also got Doonesbury, Steve Bell and a Sudoku!

Comments:
I am so glad you blogged teh Guardian article Mary Plain because I foudn it very though provoking. To be honest, I don't think he gets the take that Dr Joolz and others have, which is that digital photography is deomcratizing.
i think he was worried about his own domain and how anybody can do it.
But that has big implications for the way the world is seen and sees.
As Dr Joolz and you and others are exploring.
 
I agree, Kate, it was a very 'sad photographer having the bread taken from his children's mouths ' kind of stance. I think he overplayed the impact but it was still an interesting perspective, and as you say very thought provoking. I liked the idea that at one time you could know how many pictures were being taken world wide because of film sales (though of course it did not allow for all those like me with films sitting in their cameras for months/years..)
 
Love the DAB radio and am well impresssed you want a playstation. Will you learn to play games before the next ESRC thingy?
Am posting about the photo article today.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?