Monday, October 24, 2005

 
I nearly forgot..
Today I went to see the unfurling of A Flag For Lincolnshire. Yet another of those very special treats I get as Head Bear. And I have just found myself in a very grainy BBC Lincolnshire video on their website! (Can't work out how to add the link but it is the one for Lincoln in the same story, see the link above.) If you watch it, I am the small person in a black coat and black trousers holding a blurred umbrella. I am not sure why I was at this but I do know it rained very hard. There was a cake iced like the flag but as I am on a detox I could only have a tiny bit and even that made me feel guilty.

Comments:
You sound so lovely as Head Bear (laughing)
Can I have some of the cake?
 
sorry, they didn't give us any to take away. We did get a goody bag but it had boring things like a car sticker (Proud to be a Yellowbelly, that being what natives of Lincolnshire are called but I am not one so cannot be proud of it)and a magazine called Lincolnshire Life which as you can imagine is pictures of posh people's kitchens. Just like on The Archers. (Borsetshire Life)
 
So another example of fragmentation. Why does Lincolnshire need a flag, for that matter why does Devon need a flag? What claims for 'differentness' are the people of Lincolnshire making, apart from being yellowbellies, which could come as a bit of a shock when in the throes of passion one lifts up the blouse to find that!

When will independance be claimed?
 
A very good question, Dr Rob. The main argument advanced by BBC Radio Lincolnshire, whose bright idea this was, was that Cornwall and Devon have flags and that people from Lincolnshire with caravans have no sticker to put on their vans.. There is an important issue for Lincolnshire in getting national politicians to remember it exists- our economy is very weak (GVA 73% of the national average)and we need some serious action to get that sorted- but will a flag do that? somehow- call me a cynic- I have doubts.. It was good cake though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?