Wednesday, September 21, 2005

 
Freshers
For many of my fellow bloggers this must be a parallel experience as we all respectively either welcome or get ready to welcome our new students, though maybe not quite like this. Tonight, as head bear in this bearpit, I went to our Freshers Dinner and then (by time honoured tradition over the past two years, three weeks) to the karaoke in the SU bar. This is an intriguing mix of past tradition and present. We start the dinner with the College grace (Non nobis Domine, the Byrd setting) which used to be used daily in College and is now used for Freshers Dinner, the student Christmas meal, and at graduation (oh, and the Old Students always sing it en masse). Then we leap to the SU bar and function room and come right up to date. The students eagerly peruse the list of songs and there is fierce competition for a karaoke slot. The SU exec tonight did Bohemian Rhapsody ( an interesting interpretation) .. a combination of music and drama students did Bob the Builder with great gusto. Bare stomachs seem to be fading from view. I am allowed to leave with dignity - and more importantly, without singing- after the college chant (ask me next time you see me) to finish the evening at my blog, a single malt and some chocolate at my side. Okay, I expect you are waiting for the point of all this. But that is it.. not even any photos. Just wanted to capture the moment.

Comments:
You are an amazing woman MaryPlain. You have to be so many things. I could not do all the responsible things you do as well as all those necessary socials and goodness what else. I can see it is a wonderful job you have there but also really scary.
 
I think the hybridity of tradition and the contemporary is really interesting.
 
Whenever the smell of roast swan, a la Porterhouse Blue, starts to drift around the corridors, I can guarantee the students will cut through it with their contemporary take. Yet they are fiercer custodians- and inventors- of tradition than any of the staff..
 
We still have many tummies adrift in Exmouth I am afraid. And no such fabulous traditions.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?