Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 
Tortilla making
A tortilla press like this is used to make Mexican corn tortillas. You make the dough with special corn flour called masa harina (I get mine in Sainsbury's) and then shape the dough into balls. Each little ball has to be flattened in the press. I use plastic bags to stop the dough sticking. I have done several pictures so you can see how it opens and then closes- the lever presses down to flatten the dough. It is fiddly but very satisfying and the corn tortillas are much nicer than the ones you can buy ready-made over here. If you look very closely you may be able to see that it says Hecho Mexico as that is where we bought it.




Comments:
Mary Plain two things:
1. Your kitchen looks SO 'like' happening. Your gadgets are excellent, but I am scared by the knife rack. What happens if the knives demagnetise and fall off onto your toes - or cat? I nearly cut my fingers off today chopping a carrot into four pieces. We live but a moment away from disaters like these.
2. Why Mary Plain? How does it relate to the Beartpit. Is it to do with Tooting in 1979?
 
I meant disasters of course!
 
If you scroll right down to the first post on my blog there is a bit of an explanation. There is a series of children's books about Mary Plain by Gwynedd Rae, sadly out of print, but I have several and loved them when I was seven in leafy Limpsfield, not far from Epsom... There really are bears in Berne at the bearpit and Mary Plain and her family are they, or so it says. The stories are not very bearlike though, more pushy little girl. I empathise with Mary's waistline and fondness for buns so chose this as my BBC message board name. Then it seemed easiest to keep it for the blog.

Oh, and no cat, so only our own toes at risk! hasn't happened yet..
 
MP. I so want a tortilla press and a knife rack thing for the wall. So handy to be able to just reach out and grab the right knife for the job!
Well to the jay bad.
I am going tolook on Tinternet for tortilla presses.
 
Let me know when you find one and I can give you a recipe for tortillas! Also a few tips as to how to deal with the very sticky dough and cooking them. If you can't find one then I could bring you one next time we go to Mexico or someone from there visits us. I also have a special basket (in fact three, to be completely honest) to keep the tortillas warm which is called a tortilleria! Not an easy word to say if the food is accompanied by too much Mexican beer or tequila.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?