Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 
Play and risk
Today's Guardian also has an article by Tim Gill about playgrounds and risk. this made me think again about the debate on Dr Joolz (Thursday 28th July, 'Bad Mother?') about web access and parenting. If the web is a site for digital play, how do we allow risk but also protect children? Like Tim Gill I remember some pretty cool play spaces from my childhood but also remember falling out of a tree and knocking myself out. It didn't stop my parents letting me go out and I learnt how to get out of a tree safely as a result but how big a risk can we take?

Comments:
It's funny actually, but if anything, I worry that my son never wants to hang out away from the house.
I used to goon long bike rides and stuff and my Mum never worried; she only worried when I went out with boys with motor bikes. There's a thing, MaryPlain.
 
My parents were hopeless about knowing which of my boyfriends to worry about. In my case the motorbikes came much later and have stayed around, of course. Today The Motorcyclist and I are both (coincidentally, I promise!) wearing Moto Guzzi teeshirts.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?